Properties of Distinction is committed to go the extra mile in everything we do. Our mission is to offer tenants exceptional properties and service at a reasonable rate and to provide our investors with a better-than-average return on their investment.
Excellence – Committing the best use of time, resources, energy, and talent toward achieving superior results every time
- Exercising due diligence in locating and securing suitable investment properties
- Improving and maintaining properties to meet high aesthetic, functional, and professional standards
- Creating a dedicated team approach with tenant and investment partners
- Looking for ways to improve in everything we do
Wisdom – Investing knowledge and experience responsibly and for the greater good
Researching potential property investments thoroughly
- Using resources and time strategically and efficiently
- Finding quality tenants and investors
- Turning challenges into opportunities
Relationships – Building professional friendships on a foundation of mutual respect and trust
- Investing in people first, then in properties
- Maintaining professionalism and a positive attitude in every transaction and interaction
- Listening well to our tenants, investors, and managers
- Responding quickly and appropriately to comments, questions, and concerns
- Being approachable at every level of the company
Integrity – Conducting ourselves responsibly, ethically, and admirably
- Strictly adhering to provincial regulations
- Creating checks and balances in tracking and reporting on investments
- Honouring our commitments
- Protecting tenant and investor privacy
Communication – Dialoguing with others to transfer important information, to create mutual understanding, and to nurture relationships
- Facilitating investor access to information on properties and to the executive team
- Providing timely and comprehensive reporting to investors
- Providing timely and clear notification to tenants as required
- Creating adequate opportunity for tenants and managers to communicate
- Inviting feedback on our service at every level
- Creating a forum for managers to share best practices
Growth – Leaning into the future with a deep desire to learn, improve, and thrive
- Evaluating and improving performance of our people
- Sharing information and learning experiences among the team
- Embracing formal training opportunities
- Welcoming constructive criticism
Properties of Distinction was formed by three families involved in real estate and property management. With a shared vision to increase retirement income for ourselves and others, we began to capitalize on the booming Alberta real estate market. Along the way, we have forged lasting friendships among ourselves and with our tenants and investors.
Board of Directors
Denzal Lobo – President
Denzal has owned his own architectural firm in Edmonton, Alberta for 26 years. Real estate has been an important component of his investment portfolio since the late 1980s, when he acquired his first eight-suite apartment building. He and his wife, Patricia, currently own a number of single-family homes and condominiums in Alberta and British Columbia, in addition to holding shares in Properties of Distinction Corporation and its affiliate investment corporations.
Len Fullen – Secretary / Director
Len recently retired after working for the Alberta government for over 30 years, most recently as a senior manager with the Agricultural Products Marketing Council. He holds a degree in Business Management. Len and his wife, Jennifer, purchased their first condominium, as an investment property, in Calgary in 1996. In 2000 they also invested in a commercial property in that city. Both properties have subsequently been sold, yielding a very good return on investment. Len’s focus is now almost exclusively on continuing to grow and help manage Properties of Distinction Corporation and its affiliate investment corporations.
Bob Buchanan – Treasurer / Director
Bob has been a water specialist with the Alberta government for over 30 years. He and his wife, Louise, have included real estate in their investment portfolio for more than a decade, having owned several single-family residences: houses, townhouses, and condominiums. They currently own three small multi-family rental properties in Edmonton and Fox Creek, Alberta, in addition to their shares in Properties of Distinction Corporation and its affiliate investment corporations.
Don Buchanan – Maintenance Manager / Director
Don recently retired from 30-plus years of teaching industrial arts to high school students. On a full-time basis, he now oversees maintenance and renovation for Properties of Distinction and its affiliate investment corporations.
Properties of Distinction Corporation has worked hard to develop a team of professional researchers, realtors and real estate brokers, mortgage brokers and lenders, real estate lawyers and accountants, and on-site property managers. Much of our real estate market knowledge base comes directly from our membership in the Real Estate Investment Network (REIN), a Calgary-based organization that provides solid research data to its members across Canada.
Our Recent Real Estate Industry Awards
2006 and 2007 – “Player of the Year Award,” awarded by members of REIN
2005, 2006, and 2007 – “Top Ten” awards from REIN